SUSTAINABLE DAVAO CITY
Three-year sustainable agenda (2019-2022) proposed to the newly elected legislative and executive officials in Davao City
On their first month as sworn public officials, some Davao City policymakers have expressed high hopes and demonstrated enthusiasm in the city’s pursuit of sustainable development. The newly elected Vice Mayor Baste Duterte conveyed his willingness to discuss environmental protection with NGOs and Committee on Environmental and Natural Resources Chair Councilor Diosdado Angelo Mahipus Jr. shared his support to the total banning of single use plastic to improve waste management in the city.
While talks are underway, here are 10 specific policies and programs that we have submitted officially to the City Government of Davao. We hope our Legislative Council and the Executive Department will prioritize these in line with our commitments to the Sustainable Development Goals for the next three years.
- Require all households, commercial establishments, and institutions to set-up a fully functioning Urban Container Garden/Farm to address food safety and security, and solid waste management especially in urban areas [SDG 1, 2, 12];
- Formulate and enact an Ordinance on the Proper Labeling of Food Products (GMO/Non-GMO) for consumers to be appraised of the food they buy [SDG 1, 2, 12];
- Declare Panigan-Tamugan Sub-watershed as a Watershed Reserve/Exclusion Zone [SDG 6, 14, 15];
- Ensure active and functional Barangay Watershed Management Councils [SDG 6, 14, 15];
- Prioritize the enactment of the Environment Code of Davao City;
- Enactment of the Ban Single-Use Plastics Ordinance [SDG 6, 14, 15];
- Assert the Local Autonomy of Davao City in managing its water resources through the enforcement of the Water Code of Davao City [SDG 6, 14, 15];
- Establish additional Public Green Parks in the city [SDG 11, 13];
- Require every Barangay Local Government Units (BLGUs) to develop Public Green Parks, especially in urban areas, as a Climate Change mitigation and adaptation measure [SDG 11, 13];
- Enact an ordinance declaring Bicycle Hours / Days in Davao City [SDG 11, 13].
See complete list of proposed policies and programs as part of the Sustainable Davao City: Three Year Agenda (2019-2022) that we submitted to the Davao City Government here.
Sustainable Development Goals
- SDG 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- SDG 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition
- SDG 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 11: Make inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and human settlements
- SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- SDG 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- SDG 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.